US Pop Artist Prince Passes Away at 57 due to Drug Overdose

US Pop Artist Prince Passes Away at 57 due to Drug Overdose : Pop superstar Prince was treated for a drug overdose just days before his death, celebrity news website TMZ has reported. The Purple Rain singer, 57, was found unresponsive in an elevator at his studio compound in Paisley Park, Minnesota on Thursday morning (local time).


His publicist Yvette Noel-Schure, told The Associated Press the music icon was found dead at his home Thursday in Chanhassen.

He was taken ill earlier this month when his private jet was forced to make an emergency landing in Illinois, but he appeared in concert the next day and told fans he was fine.

Prince Rogers Nelson (June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016), known by the mononym Prince, was an American singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, and actor.

Prince was renowned as an innovator, and was widely known for his eclectic work, flamboyant stage presence, and wide vocal range.

He was widely regarded as the pioneer of Minneapolis sound. His music integrates a wide variety of styles, including funk, rock, R&B, soul, psychedelia, and pop.

The singer, songwriter, arranger and instrumentalist was widely acclaimed as one of the most inventive musicians of his era, drawing upon influences ranging from James Brown to the Beatles to Jimi Hendrix.