World

Dayton Shooting: Shooter wore a mask, bulletproof vest and hearing protection as he opened fire

Dayton Shooting: Shooter wore a mask, bulletproof vest and hearing protection as he opened fire: Ten people along with the attacker were killed in a mass shooting which was held early Sunday in Dayton, Ohio, police said. The police also added that the assailant was shot dead by responding officers. It all started when a gunman wearing body armor along with carrying extra magazines opened fire in a well-known nightlife area of Dayton, Ohio, which ended up killing nine and injuring dozens, authorities say, in the second U.S. mass shooting in less than 24 hours.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Matt Carper said, “the incident was held shortly after 1:00 am in the popular bar and nightlife Oregon district of the city”

“We had one shooter that we are aware of and multiple victims,” he told reporters. “The shooter is deceased, from gunshot wounds from the responding officers,” he said, and added that no police were injured in the incident.

“We have nine victims deceased … and we have approximately 16 more victims hospitalized right now in unknown conditions.” The suspect had opened fire on the street firing “a long gun with multiple rounds.” Police are now working in order to identify the shooter as well as the FBI were on scene in order to provide any necessary assistance or help, he said.

Carper also said that Oregon was “a very safe part of downtown” Dayton and very popular with visitors.

He added, “Fortunately we had multiple officers in the immediate vicinity when this incident started so there was a very short timeline of violence, for that we’ve very fortunate.

“It’s a very tragic incident and we’re doing everything we can to investigate it and try to identify the motivation behind this,” said Carper.

“We’re still interviewing obviously a lot of witnesses as well as officers to determine if anyone else was involved,” he added.

Who are the victims?

Police listed all nine of those who died. They are:

  • Lois Oglesby, black female, 27
  • Megan Betts, white female, 22
  • Saeed Saleh, black male, 38
  • Derrick Fudge, black male, 57
  • Logan Turner, white male, 30
  • Nicholas Cummer, white male, 25
  • Thomas McNichols, black male, 25
  • Beatrice Warren Curtice, black female, 36
  • Monica Brickhouse, black female, 39

Who was the attacker?

Hours after he had been named by the media, police officials confirmed the gunman’s identity as 24-year-old Connor Betts from Bellbrook, Ohio.

Police searched his home on Sunday.

A photo show Connor Betts wearing sunglassesImage copyrightCBS NEWS
Image 

Mayor Nan Whaley also told reporters that she was “amazed” by the quick response of the officers which she said stopped for having any further deaths, but also stressed it would be a “very, very difficult time” for families of victims.

“As a mayor, this is a day that we all dread happening,” she said. “What’s very sad is I’ve got messages from mayors across the country – it’s sad that we’ve all gone through it.”

Gov. Mike DeWine also issued his own statement before 7 am, declaring that he has ordered flags in Ohio remain at half-mast as well as offered assistance to Whaley.

“Fran and I are absolutely heartbroken over the horrible attack that occurred this morning in Dayton, the statement said. “We join those across Ohio and this country in offering our prayers to victims and their families.”