Every injury is different. While that may seem relatively obvious to some, it is important to understand that the trajectory of subsequent aches and pains varies depending on the type of injury sustained and who was harmed. It is difficult to standardize how each injury will progress as well as the level of recuperation each victim will enjoy. Therefore it stands to reason that the length of time each personal injury settlement takes will vary from person to person.
Factors that Contribute to The Length of a Personal Injury Case
It can be difficult to discern when a seemingly minor injury is far more than that. Despite an ache here and a pain there, oftentimes, we “poo poo” our discomfort and choose not to make a big deal of what we think is “nothing.” And yet, dismissing our injuries after an accident of any kind, can be penny wise and terribly pound foolish. We owe it to ourselves and our families to get prompt, accurate, and timely medical attention. That goes for anyone who has suffered a personal injury. It does not matter if we are medical professionals, ballerinas, truck drivers, or are ourselves, attorneys who specialize in personal injury law.
What You Can Do to Expedite Your Personal Injury Settlement
The law only moves as fast as those navigating it, but even then, there are processes that must be followed that can take a long time. Nevertheless, there are things you can and should do, to move the process along.
- If you are in an accident, whether you think it meets the criteria for a personal injury case or not, you must seek immediate medical attention. Not only could the results of a medical exam support your right to financial compensation, but can prove life saving. Remember, not all injuries present with obvious symptoms. Internal bleeding, concussions, and sometimes even fractures present in uniquely, asymptomatic ways.
- Contact your personal injury lawyer in New York City immediately. The quicker you report your accident, the sooner your attorney can evaluate your situation. And if you have medical records that detail a progressive medical timeline that supports when and how severely you were hurt, your personal injury attorney will have that much more to work with.
Other Ways to Facilitate Your Personal injury Settlement
Once you have met with a doctor immediately after your accident and communicated as soon as possible thereafter with your personal injury attorney, your team will need to evaluate a number of other items.
- Have your injuries and attendant liabilities been successfully proven and defined?
- Are cause and effect clearly identified and established?
- Is your case being argued by the defendant’s lawyer or insurance company because you are indeed owed quite a bit of cash that they most likely do not want to pay?
- Have you met your Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI)?
- Meeting your MMI means that your physician has determined that you have recovered as much as can be expected given the nature of your injuries.
- In addition, your MMI score also indicates how much additional recovery you are likely to make.
- Lastly, your MMI cannot be established until at least six months after you were injured.
When It Is Time to Call a Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been in an accident, the time to contact a personal injury attorney in New York City is now. The skilled and devoted personal injury lawyers at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff, LLP are you need to call today.