National Handwriting Day 2019; History, Significance and Celebration: National Handwriting Day is celebrated every year on January 23 to celebrate the importance and skills of writing. This year, National Handwriting Day is going to be celebrated on Wednesday, 23rd January 2019.
National Handwriting Day 2019
National Handwriting Day was initiated to re-introduce the writing skills that people are forgetting with passage of time. On this day, one’s self is introduced to pen or pencil and a piece of paper.
As per the Writing Instrument Manufacturers Association, it is an opportunity for all to re-explore the transparency and influence of handwriting.
National Handwriting Day History
National Handwriting Day was established in 1977 by the Writing Instrument Manufacturers Association. Their main purpose is to encourage the consumption of pens, pencils and writing paper. January 23rd was picked as the National Handwriting Day after the John Hancock birth date. John Hancock is to be expected as the most iconic scribe in the US history as well as he was the first person to sign the Declaration of Independence.
Why Handwriting is important?
- Various studies show that writing improves your memory; students remember learning better when they write instead of typing.
- Engaging your body in writing by hand makes the writing more all-inclusive activity. There is something exclusively bodily and multidimensional about placing pen to paper to create words and sentences.
- Your handwriting also helps in reflecting the real personality as well as the status of your mind at the same time. Handwriting below average indicates the personality of the person who is mostly in haste, whereas, people with good handwriting indicates their calm and steady nature.
- It helps in increasing the learning ability as the words written by us are remembered more by the brain than of typing it.
- Keeping a small notebook, is a best idea as whenever you came up with an idea, you can write it on the notebook. This will help you to remember your new ideas and thoughts even after a long period of time.
National Handwriting Day Celebration
On this great occasion, grab your pen or pencil and a paper and write something on it, it might be an essay, a letter, poem, article and many more. To add more fun to this you can organise a handwriting competition and award the winner of the contest to encourage them to write more in future.
You can also take a picture of your handwriting written on the piece of paper and post it to your social media account with the hashtag #NationalHandwritingDay. Also don’t forget to mention your experience.