World

US: Apple iPhone 6 being used by 11-year-old catches fire

Recently, an Apple iPhone 6 that was being used by an 11-year-old girl in California caught fire. The story of the iPhone 6 catching fire was reported by the girl Kayla Ramos and her mother Maria Adata about the incident.

iPhone 6 catches fire

According to the report telling about the incident. Ramos said she had the phone in her hand and then suddenly saw sparks flying everywhere. She then threw the phone onto a blanket, but it managed to burn holes through this as well. Ramos also added that she used the iPhone 6 to watch YouTube videos and she had sometimes let her younger siblings play games with it as well.

Ramos’ story was also covered by other local news channels and in a YouTube video uploaded by KTNV Channel 13 Las Vegas, showed the burnt iPhone 6.

Kayla’s mother called Apple support after the incident and was asked to send pictures of the device and ship the phone back to them. According to the report, while Apple is investigating the issue, they will also be shipping a new iPhone to the family, after the damaged unit is sent back to the company.

Meanwhile talking about the incident, Maria Adata told, “This(pointing towards the blanket) could have been my child. My child could have been caught on fire and she could have been hurt more and I am glad she’s ok.”

While Apple did not comment on the issue publicly, reports of iPhones exploding or catching fire are not common and there could be several reasons why smartphones catch fire. If the battery has been damaged or is too old, there is a risk to the device for sure. Apple on its support page says that consumers should avoid too hot or too cold temperatures in order to get the most of the battery performance.

If the iPhone gets too hot or is exposed to direct heat or sunlight for long, it can cause damage to the battery and thus potentially increasing the risk for fire. Also, using unauthorised or poor quality chargers, charging cables along with unauthorised repairs can also cause damage to the iPhone’s battery.

However, the Ramos family has clarified that they had not used any of these on their iPhone 6 and still the incident has occurred.