CIC to Govt: Allow couples to declare fear of honour killing in marriage forms

CIC to Govt: Allow couples to declare fear of honour killing in marriage forms : Worried about the honour killings, the Chief Information Commissioner has suggested to the central and states governments to allow the couple who intend to have a court marriage to declare the fear of honour killing in the marriage form.


Sridhar Acharyulu who is Information Commissioner also suggested that couples may be allowed to seek police protection from the registrar under the Special Marriage Act where the marriage is to be performed.

He said that if the SDM refuses to solemnise the marriage, any of the parties may file an appeal within 30 days to the District Court. If no one filed an objection, the SDM solemnises the marriage after 30 days of the notice.

He said that generally notice is an essential aspect of procedure for marriage under this Act. Generally notice is required to prevent marriage between persons within degrees of prohibited relationship, bigamous marriages, i.e., while a spouse is living without obtaining valid divorce, marriages without valid consent, with person of insanity, or persons not attaining prescribed marriageable age etc.

Archayulu said that Violent social consequences of inter religiou and inter caste love marriages cannot be ignored. The khap panchayats and their mandates coupled with honour killings are shocking developments emanating from the exercise of freedom of choice of life partner.

He said that The 1954 law does not have any provision to save the persons from different religions and castes against will of their parents. The notice meant for good cannot be fatal for groom or bride.

Under the Special Marriage Act, marriage can be solemnised after a copy of the notice in this regard is pasted on the office notice board by the SDM.

The Information Commissioner noted that within the 30 days of issue of notice, any person can file objection to the intended marriages. In this type of case, the SDM shall not solemnise the marriage until he has decided the objection, within 30 days of its receipt.