Jallikattu: locals attack Chennai Police, vehicles set on fire in TN

Jallikattu: locals attack Chennai Police, vehicles set on fire in TN : On Monday, the week-long Jallikattu protest at Marina Beach, Chennai turned violent after early morning crackdown by the police on scores of protesters, demanding a permanent solution for holding of the bull taming sport.

The Police fired tear gas to forcefully disperse demonstrators and also used baton. After the police action at Marina Beach led to clashes and violent protesters pelted stones at Ice House police station and set several vehicles on fire.

The working president of DMK – MK Stalin criticised the police action on protesters at Marina beach demanding lifting of the ban on Jallikattu and a permanent solution for holding it.

In a statement, Stalin said that it is condemnable that instead of holding talks with peaceful protesters, it has been attempted to end protests using police with an authoritarian mindset. Stalin also said that the action as “anti-democratic.”

The protesters, mostly students and youth, had not bought the government decision to issue an ordinance for holding Jallikattu, which was done on Saturday, and the bull taming sport held in some parts of the state. They had vowed to carry on with their protest till a permanent solution was found to ensure the sport was held annually without any hindrance.

Some others staged a sit-in on the sands while others regrouped in nearby areas, shouting slogans and allegedly throwing stones on policemen.

Police burst teargas shells and baton-charged to chase away a section of protesters who had regrouped at Triplicane near Marina beach and allegedly started throwing stones at police personnel.

Tens of thousands of youth, students and general public had been protesting in Marina since 17th January 2017 urging to lift the ban on the conduct of Jallikattu in Tamil Nadu and also urged it had been staged in a disciplined and peaceful manner without causing inconvenience to the general public and hindrance to the traffic.

Several protestors were also seen threatening the police to commit suicide at the beach if forcefully removed from the site.

Women police personnel were seen taking women agitators, some elderly and some with babies in their arms, out of the grounds, despite them appealing with folded hands not to disturb the peaceful agitation.

The Police said that they had cleared the ground for the Republic Day function, and it is under control of the district administration and police.

After the Governor’s address to the Assembly today, the government is expected to move a bill to amend the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960.