#NMD National Milk Day 2018: Theme, Facts, Significance, Whatsapp Status, Quotes, Slogan, : Images & PicturesLove for milk in India is incredible; it is main and basic item of every home in India. Not only in India but also around the world, milk is seen as the source of strength. Milk became an essential ingredient for various beverages and dishes such as Coffee, Tea, Béchamel Sauce, etc. Milk is rich source of calcium, protein and other nutrients such as lactose, fat and carbohydrate.
National Milk Day 2018: Amul Dedicates ‘Amul Ratna’ Doodle to Dr Verghese Kurien
In India milk has given us many products such as ghee, butter, curd, buttermilk and paneer (cottage cheese). All these milk products are widely consumed in India and without these you can’t even imagine any Indian cuisine.
Today our country is self-sufficient in milk and our dairy farming is considered to be largest self-sustaining industry all over the world. But in 1950s, the situation was not the way it seems today. At that period of time, India was not able to fulfill the needs of milk to their citizens because of which milk was imported from other countries to fulfill the daily needs. Today if we are self-sufficient in milk or any dairy products is just because of Dr. Verghese Kurien efforts who is also known as the father of ‘White Revolution’ in India. This one man’s idea of providing billion litre of milk to Indian people became popular as well as helped India to raise their agricultural dairy development programme at higher level.
National Milk Day 2018: Everything You Want to Know About Dr Verghese Kurian Aka Father of the White Revolution
To give Dr. Verghese honour for giving his contribution in developing Indian agriculture and dairy development, National Milk Day is celebrated annually on 26th November.
About Dr. Verghese Kurien and his achievements
On this day we provide you some of the facts of Dr. Verghese Kurien
- Dr. Kurien was born on 26th November 1921 in Calicut, (Madras Presidency) now it is known as Kozhikode in Kerala, India.
- He was also known by other names – Father of the White Revolution of India and Milkman of India.
- His father was a civil surgeon in government hospital.
- Dr. Kurien, at the age of 14 completed his intermediate in science with physics in 1940 and completed his bachelor’s degree of mechanical engineering in 1943
- He is the Co-founder of ‘Amul’ as well as founder of NDDB (National Dairy Development Board) & IRMA (Institute of Rural Management, Anand) previously in Bombay province but now it is in Gujarat, India.
- Dr. Verghese has won many awards such as:
- World Food Prize (1989)
- Order of Agricultural Merit (1997)
- Padma Vibhushan (1999)
- Padma Bhushan (1966)
- Padma Shri (1965)
- Ramon Magsaysay Award (1964)
Facts about milk revolution in India
- With over 150 million tonnes of production, India became the largest producer of milk in the world and also per capita availability of milk is over 300 grams per day.
- The growth rate of milk production increased by 6.28 percent in the year 2015-16 because of which total production of milk reached 156 million tonnes.
- From the year 1990-91, the per capita of milk in India increased from 176 grams per day to 322 grams per day by 2014-15. It was increased to greatest level even more than the world average of 294 grams per day during 2013.