While some people interact with accountants every day, some only come in close quarters with them once a year, during tax season. The tax season might be the time when accountants are most visible, but all year long, they work behind the scenes to ensure the smooth running of a business.
Education Required For an Account Executive Job
One of the things that you should know about the field of accounting is the fact that you can get into the field at all education degree levels. From looking for accounts assistant jobs to management jobs, there are several paths to become an accountant. An associate’s degree is good enough for an accountant job for a fresher, and a bachelor’s will help create a greater base of knowledge, which will be perfect for other advanced degrees.
Another way to go forward is to opt for a CPA certification, which is quite popular these days among employers.
What Do Accountants Do?
The main task of accountants is to prepare and examine the financial records of a company. Accountants ensure that these records are maintained accurately and that the taxes are paid on time. They also undertake the smooth working of financial operations of the business to ensure that it keeps running efficiently. Accountants may also offer the same services to individuals, to help them create plans of action to improve their financial well-being. Some of the tasks that accountants undertake are:
- Examining statements to ensure their accuracy
- Ensuring that the statements and records of the company comply with laws and regulations
- Computing the taxes owed
- Preparing tax returns
- Ensuring prompt payment of taxes
- Inspecting account books and accounting systems and keeping them up to date
- Maintain the company’s financial records
- Working towards improving the efficiency of businesses where money is concerned
- Suggesting various ways to reduce costs, enhance revenues, and to improve profits
- Auditing businesses and individuals
The Different Career Paths In Accounting
Generally, accountants work in offices, while some work from home. There are specialist accountants as well depending on the needs and business of their client. Their specialization may also vary, depending on the industry they choose. The four main types of account executive jobs that one may choose are:
- Public accountant: The clients include individuals, governments, and corporations, and they fulfil a range of duties in accounting, tax, auditing, consulting, etc. You need to have at least a bachelor’s degree for this job.
- Management accountant: Other names for this type of accountant include cost, corporate, managerial, or private accountants. In this job, you are supposed to record and analyse your clients’ financial information for internal use. For this position, you need to have a bachelor’s degree as well as a CPA certification.
- Government accountant: They examine and maintain records of government agencies. Duties also include auditing individuals or businesses, the activities of which are subject to the regulations or taxation of the government. A bachelor’s degree is the minimum requirement for this role.
- Internal auditor: Duties include checking for the risk management of the funds of a business and identifying processes for finding and removing waste as well as frauds. Candidates need a bachelor’s degree as well as CPA certification to work as internal auditors.
Advancements in being an accountant can be in many forms. You can easily search and apply for accounting jobs online, and even if you begin with an entry level job, you will see your responsibilities increasing with every year, allowing you to move to senior positions soon. People who excel at their responsibilities can even move on to become managers and supervisors.