Another Blast in Sri Lankan town at Pugoda, no casualties: After a dreadful attack in Sri Lanka on Easter, an another explosion has occurred in a town east of the Sri Lankan capital, Colombo, on Thursday morning. As per the report, there were no casualties, a police spokesman said. Spokesperson Ruwan Gunasekera said that the police were examining the blast on bare land which is behind the magistrate’s court in Pugoda, 40 km.
- The blast was heard from a vacant land behind magistrates court
- The town of Pugoda is 40 km east of Sri Lanka’s capital Colombo
- The police said they are investigating the explosion
“There was an explosion behind the court, we are investigating”, he said and further added that it was not a controlled explosion like former blasts in recent days.
The blast came at a time of high tension in Sri Lanka following the Easter Sunday tragic suicide bomber attacks on the island state where at least 359 people were killed and hundreds other wounded in eight blasts that shook churches and hotels in and just outside Sri Lanka’s capital.
The dead as well as wounded comprised of foreigners along with the local people. According to the hospital sources, the citizens of British, Dutch and America were among the dead, with Britons and Japanese were among those who were wounded in the attacks.
At the time of blast on Easter Sunday, Defense Minister Ruwan Wijewardena wrote on twitter, “I strongly condemn the cowardly attacks on our people today.
He further added, “I call upon all Sri Lankans during this tragic time to remain united and strong. Please avoid propagating unverified reports and speculation. The government is taking immediate steps to contain this situation.”
The Islamic State group took the responsibility of the attack and has released images that claimed to show the seven bombers who blew themselves up at three churches and three hotels on Sunday in the most awful violence this South Asian island country has seen from the time of its civil war finished a decade ago.
The government has said that the suicide bomber attack were passed out by Islamic fundamentalists in apparent revenge for the New Zealand mosque massacre which was held last month. But they also said that the seven bombers were all Sri Lankan. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said investigators were still working to examine the degree of the bombers’ foreign links.
Police spokesman Ruwan Gunasekara said that 18 suspects were arrested immediately overnight which raised the total numbers of arrests to 58. The prime minister had notified on Tuesday that a number of suspects armed with explosives were still at large.
The Islamic State group has lost all the territory it as soon as held in Iraq and Syria and has made a sequence of unconfirmed claims of responsibility all around the globe.
The authorities of Sri Lanka have held the responsibility to a local extremist group, National Towheed Jamaar, whose leader, interchangeably known as Mohammed Zahran or Zahran Hashmi, turn out to be known to Muslim leaders three years ago for his provocative speeches online.