Delhi’s Signature Bridge: interesting facts to know the bridge twice the size of Qutub Minar: Signature Bridge is India’s first asymmetrical cable stayed bridge which connects Wazirabad to East Delhi and shortens travel time between North and North-East Delhi. Signature Bridge has the tallest structure pylon in Delhi and it is double the height of Qutub Minar. Signature Bridge construction started at 2004 and was supposed to be operational in 2010 but missed several deadlines. Signature Bridge was finally inaugurated on 4th November 2018 by Delhi’s Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.
Facts about the bridge twice the size of Qutub Minar
- Signature Bridge is India’s first ever asymmetricalcable-stayedd bridge with the gesture ‘Namaste’ and it crosses Yamuna River.
- The undertaking of Signature Bridge was taken by Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation (DTTDC) at Rs 1,518.37 crores budget.
- Total length of Signature Bridge is 675 meters, total width is 35.2 meters and total height is 165 meters. The bridge is made up of steel and concrete and 250 mm thick steel plate fabrication. It also has a selfie spot on the Signature Bridge.
- The bridge is completed after 14 years of delaying as its construction started at 2004 and it was supposed to be inaugurated before Commonwealth games in 2010 but it kept on delaying and finally became operational in 4th November 2018.
- The Signature Bridge is not only helpful in reducing the time between North-East Delhi to the inner city from 45 minutes to just 10 minutes but also helpful in reducing some traffic, pollution level and fuel usage.
- The Signature Bridge also has a 154 meter high glass box on the top of the bridge which is attached to 4 elevators which can carry 50 people at a time.
- The Signature Bridge is also surrounded by controversies firstly because of its delaying and secondly because of BJP chief Manoj Tiwari Who was gate-crashed and created disruption in the inauguration ceremony.
- The Signature Bridge contains some of the graphics on the bridge which represents India as Modern and Progressive.
The inauguration event ran into a controversy when Delhi BJP chief Manoj Tiwari created disruption in the event for not being invited in the ceremony. On the incident, Kejriwal said, “Chaos by BJP at Signature Bridge inauguration site. It’s s a Del govt prog. Police mute spectator. Can LG, being head of Del police, ensure peace and order at Signature bridge inauguration site?”
Arvind Kejriwal also attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his speech while comparing the country’s first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru with Prime Minister Modi and he praised Jawaharlal Nehru by saying that our country needs bridges, schools and hospitals for its development and not just that temples and statues. He quoted
“If Nehru had chosen to build temples and statues instead of institutions like the BHEL and SAIL, the country would not have progressed. The country will languish in the 15th century if temples and mosques are given preferences over science, technology and research”.