World

Oman-Dubai bus accident: The death toll of Indians reaches 12

Oman-Dubai bus accident: The death toll of Indians reaches 12: The consul-general of India in the United Arab Emirates city said on Friday that the number of Indians who died in Dubai in Thursday’s bus accident has gone up to 12. There are total number of other five additional people who were also killed and total of nine seriously injured on Thursday evening when the driver of the Muscat-to-Dubai route bus move in a road that is not meant for buses and moved towards Al Rashidiya Metro station in Dubai.

HIGHLIGHTS

  • 17 people have died in a fatal bus accident in Dubai
  • 12 Indians were among the dead
  • The bus was travelling from Oman to Dubai when the accident took place

12 Indians among 17 killed in Dubai bus accident

The bus was belonged to Omani government’s transport company Mwasalat. “Mwasalat family expresses its deepest condolences to the families of the deceased and wishes a speedy recovery to the injured,” the company tweeted.

As per to the Gulf News, the bus was carrying total of 31 passengers crashed into a height barrier that smashed the left side of the vehicle leading to killing the passengers sitting on that side. On the other hand, the Police in Dubai said that the number of dead may possibly increase further as some of the bodies are yet to be identified, PTI reported.

Vipul, who uses one name, on Twitter tweeted, “With great sadness we inform that Indian fatalities in Dubai bus accident has gone up to 12. Our officers are at Rashidiya police station and mortuary to extend all assistance (sic)”

He further wrote, “Our effort now is to get formalities completed soon so that mortal remains can be repatriated soon.”

External affairs minister S Jaishankar has also took twitter to express his condolence to the families of those who were killed in the accident.

“Deeply grieved by the unfortunate bus accident in Dubai that has claimed 12 Indian lives. My sincere condolences to the families. Our Consulate @cgidubai is extending all help,” Jaishankar posted.

In the beginning, the Indian consulate in Dubai had put the number of dead at six in the accident on Thursday evening but then later updated the toll to eight and then now to 12.

“4 Indians were discharged after first aid and three are receiving treatment in Rashid hospital,” the consulate had tweeted previously.

It has also issued a helpline number that is: +971-565463903, this number is for the relatives in order to raise queries related to those travelling on the bus.

Early on Friday, the Police in Dubai had declared the death toll in tweets. Dubai Police has also expressed their condolences.

As per to the news agency, they said, “The General Directorate of Dubai Police extends its sincere condolences to the families of the deceased who were involved in a bus crash at Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Road, which killed 17 passengers.”

Mwasalat issued a statement on Twitter declaring the suspension of their daily services in the middle of Muscat and Dubai and vice versa, until any additional further notice.

The dead comprised of Vikram Jawahar Thakur, Vimal Kumar Karthikeyan Kesavapilaikar, Kiran Johny Johny Vallithottathil Paily, Firoz Khan Aziz Pathan, Reshma Feroz Khan Pathan, Jamaludeen Arakkaveettil, Vasudev Vishandas, Rajan Puthiyapurayil Gopalan, Prabula Madhavan Deepa Kumar, Roshni Moolchandani, Ummer Chonokatavath Mammad Puthen, Nabil Ummer Chonokatavath.